Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Frozen Rainbow Fruit Stick

This idea slowly evolved overtime, but started as a "rainbow" for the triplets St. Patrick's Day Benito lunch. It's pretty simpe, but the fruit used is more on the expensive side, so it's more of a "treat" in my house than an everyday thing around these parts.


First, you need to buy thin wood craft sticks. Like what a corn-dog come on. They're usually around $2 for a ton of them at any craft store.


We're going to be making our rainbow in the correct color order. I'm not OCD at all.... can you tell? To remember this I always use Roy G. Biv- red-orange-yellow-blue-green-indigo-blue-violet. Think Roy G. Biv as a man's name. I don't know why, but I always remember it. I don't actually use indigo AND violet because to me they're the same thing... like I've said we're not cooking for food critics right?

First, cut the strawberries in half long ways and cross-ways. We're only going to use the top pieces. Feed the bottom to the kids as a side for the current meal or eat them yourself!


Add the cantaloupe, cut into 1 inch cubes, as well as the pineapple
For green, add pieces of Kiwi. There are instructions on how to cut kiwi here.
Next, add the blue berries and the grapes threading from the top (stem side) through the bottom side.

I added a mini marshmallow or two at St. Patrick's Day to act as the "clouds".
Put in the freezer overnight and you have a frozen rainbow fruit!



Grocery List:
R-Strawberries or Watermelon
O-Cantaloupe
Y-Pineapple
G-Kiwis or Green Grapes
B-Blueberries
I-Purple Grapes
Marshmallows
Craft Sticks


0 comments:

Post a Comment