Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Sandwich Round Shrimp and Spinach Pizzas

Have you ever seen those frozen Elmo oraginc Pizzas? I have and they are EXPENSIVE! I'd give them to the triplets if someone else was paying for them, but no one seems to be stepping up to the plate on that one ;)

I decided to make some, after I discovered that sandwich rounds make great toddler pizza crust.

Let's get into why in the heck I had sandwich rounds in the first place... You see here in TN WIC is easy to get. When you're in the military and have three kids WIC is even easier to get. The deal is they don't count hardly any of our paycheck as income. No housing allowance, no food allowance, and no "special pays". That means that they roughly don't count almost half of our paycheck. While I do feel somewhat guilty getting WIC because of this, this is true all over the nation. The military is underpaid as it is, and contrary to popular belief you do not get paid any extra when you have children. I see it as a supplement to our already ridiculously low pay for what my husband does. Also, there are many states that automatically will allow triplets to be on WIC regardless of income. I encourage anyone with multiples to at least try.
That being said, sandwich rounds are a WIC item. So with three toddlers I get up to 6 packages a month! That's a lot of bread.... and if you haven't noticed toddlers don't like plain bread... so I've gotten creative.

You will need:

1 package of sandwich rounds
1 cup of Alfredo sauce (mix or jar)
1/4 of a cup of pesto sauce (mix or jar)
1 cup of chopped spinach fresh or thawed
1/4 of a cup of feta cheese crumbles (optional)
1/4 of a cup of green pepper, frozen or fresh (optional)
1 cup of mozzarlla cheese (I grate my own)
4oz of salad shrimp

First place the sandwich rounds with the inside bread down.



Next, add about 1 tablespoon per pizza of Alfredo sauce mix and spread into a circle. Add a teaspoon of pesto and spread evenly into the Alfredo. You can use the jar or sauce mix variety. I never use the whole packet, so I just save whatever is left over and defrost in the microwave when I need it.





Next, add 1 tablespoon of mozzarella cheese.


Add about 8 tiny salad shrimp per pizza. I bought a frozen 4 oz bag for $2 at Kroger.




Then, add about 1 tablespoon of chopped spinach per pizza. It comes frozen in bad for about $1 if you don't have fresh. If you use frozen thaw it in the microwave and squeeze of the water before adding to the pizza.




I also added 1 teaspoon of green pepper to each pizza. This is not necessary and was even pushing my kids in their acquired tastes, but if you think you're kids might eat it, by all means add it! I bought a bag of green pepper for $1 and just added it straight from the bag.

Put the pizza's in a preheated 400 degree oven for 5 minutes.
After five minutes, remove and add 1 teaspoon of feta cheese per pizza.


Heat for another five minutes, and you have a meal to feed you toddler that contains food from 4 food groups! Add some fruit and make it 5 food groups!


The best part of making it is how easy it is to store. Remember the sandwich round bag you saved? Grab that and some wax paper. Cut the wax paper to the width of the bag and place a piece on the counter. 



Next, place two pizzas on the paper. 


Place a piece of wax paper over top of these pizzas and  stack another row of pizzas. Do this until you have three rows of pizzas and a piece of wax paper under the bottom pizza and over the top pizza. Then just cut off the end of the wax paper, and put the pizza stacks in the sandwich round bag. You can also use small zip lock bags and just have one row of pizzas instead of two. 


Throw them in the freezer and they should keep for about 2 months. To reheat, use a toaster over or regular oven at 350* for 10 minutes. 

Here's the grocery list to make 12 mini pizzas:
1 package of sandwich rounds
1 cup of Alfredo sauce (mix or jar)
1/4 of a cup of pesto sauce (mix or jar)
1 cup of chopped spinach fresh or thawed
1/4 of a cup of feta cheese crumbles
1/4 of a cup of green pepper, frozen or fresh
1 cup of mozzarlla cheese (I grate my own)
4oz of salad shrimp









0 comments:

Post a Comment